Monday, June 29, 2009

Inspired!

You know people, I created this id of mine long time back and I have wanted to write stuff in my blog since a really long time. But I used to think I could never do it and this id has been idle for I don’t know how many years. Anyway let me tell you one of the elements that inspired me to start writing.

Firstly, let me confess I have not been a voracious reader since my childhood. I used to get away with the minimal reading any man would do. The scientist in my dad has tried to get me into the habit of reading by suggesting books. He used to try to get me to read a lot of classics, books on science, medicine and philosophy. I’ve always thought those kind of books were meant to be showcased; not read. Or maybe the ones you’d have a slight idea of its theme so that maybe in a conversation you could show off saying, “Hey I think War and peace By Tolstoy is the best historical novel ever written”. That works most of the time unless the other person has actually read it himself.

Recently he introduced me to ‘The White Tiger’ by Aravind Adiga. Along with giving a book, he has this habit of giving an introduction to the author. It either goes like, “you know, this author has won a Nobel Prize for medicine and his book gives an exhaustive list of his contributions”. Like all that even matters to me. Anyway, without giving up his habit of the ‘author explanation’, he told me Adiga won the Man Booker prize for this book. I said to myself,“Oh No..Not another one!” I was sure it wou
ld be just another book where the author tries to show off his skills in writing complicated sentences with unmatchable vocabulary which a common man like me would be able to read solely with the help of a dictionary. Anyway I took it from him and started reading the book. To my surprise, the book was amazing. I dint keep it down until I finished the last page. The interesting part was that I did not have to open the dictionary, not even once, to read it! I’m impressed, Adiga. Thoroughly impressed. That book is written in the simplest language and with a kind of flow I cannot explain. The experience of reading that book was mere pleasure.

So, one thing I inferred from this is that, when you write something, you really don’t need to blow up things and shoot it out with disgusting vocabulary and scare the reader away. Neither do you have to write on complex topics which again could put off people. Even simple stuff can make a long lasting impression. Thanks Adiga! ...........

I finally believe I too can write!

6 comments:

blah said...

i had a similar story.... on how to begin.. and then i heard about a Jeffery archer. rest is history...

kudos to u.. u have started .. dont stop..

Unknown said...

why do i feel so familiar with the situation!.. runs in the family i guess.:p

JK said...

Good begining. I liked the way you wote. Simple and straight from the heart. Waiting for more in my hectic schedule. I love you so much-Your Achan

Bullshee said...

The White Tiger reinforced firangi concepts of "The Darkness" and kept people entertained with its simple and readable narrative.

It was a good read, I'll give you that. But I personally didn't think it was Man Booker good. But then again, they gave Arundhati Roy the Booker for God of Small Things, which I think is the most abysmal literary creation of this day and age!

But since Adiga got you writing, that's something you have to hand to the man! Bangalorean by the way! :-)

Dr.Oswin said...

Ok...so i've started following your blogs, and i've to say, i love them for their simple language and straightforwardness. Reading blogs is my latest hobby- esp. coz a lot of blogs i follow keep me updated on how my friends are...and i like yours for the very same reason....so hows chennai? Dont say hot, coz i'm in Delhi rt now ;-)

Par said...

@Oswin: Hey Oswin, nice to see you here. Thnnks for ur compliment :)
Nice to see u re back in India :)