Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Kids are unbelievable!

Kids these days are too smart. Probably cos they’re born into a hi-tech world unlike us. The first thing my cousin did when her first child was born was to create her e-mail id! Kinda weird but true.

I remember I used play with rattles and dolls as a kid. Probably even get a balloon or an awfully noisy blow-horn thingy if there was a festival happening nearby. That thing makes the most irritating noise; I’m sure my parents would never have bought it for me a second time. Recently, I noticed that my niece got an “electronic math puzzle solver” for her birthday. I hadn’t even heard of a thing like that. I spent a whole day reading the instructions booklet alone.

I notice that kids these days are brought up quite differently from how we were or maybe I shouldn’t generalize. Let me just share with you some of the interesting things I noticed about my cousin’s two kids: 5 year old Amu and 3 year old Krishna.

Amu already knows how to use a computer and a cell phone! She plays all kinds of games in it. Fun with math, making words, catch the worm and what not. I remember it was very recently that I taught my mom how to switch on the computer. When did we ourselves start using computers full fledged??? When we were 15-18??

Amu’s math skills amaze me. Once we asked her “what is 97 minus 23?” She came with the right answer in a jiffy. I would need all my fingers and toes to calculate that; at her age…. Ok… even now!
The truth is I took even more time to validate her answer!
I was thinking of hiring her as my tutor to help me out with my CAT exam.

Talking about smartness, I’d say the three year old amazes me even more. The other day, his mom tried on her new dress and was showing it to us. Suddenly out of nowhere, we heard the best comment ever. Krishna said “Mommy you look like a princess”. All of us including his mom were shocked at this comment of his. After all it came from a three year old. Well, all I thought was, ‘Oh my! This teeny tiny young boy already knows how to appreciate women. He’s gonna be a winner!’ ;)

The height of it all, one day Krish was telling us, “I’m gonna marry Meghna”. Now, who ever thought a three year old would think of marriage. I was dumbstruck by his confidence. Twenty four long years in this world and I’m not decided yet!

Amu has this Barbie doll whose dresses you can change for whatever occasion you wanna dress her up for and once I was about to change her dress when Krishna yelled, “Don’t! She doesn’t have her underpants on”. Now, how the hell did that naughty fellow know that!

Kids never seize to amaze and interest me. But seeing the likes of it, I just hope I can manage them when I have my own!

5 comments:

Par said...

Oops! I jus realized that the comments were disabled for this one:(
Apologies..
Do put in ur valuable comments!

Unknown said...

bravo...!!!!!!ur too gud at this..!!!

Shanu said...

Lol! Totally agree with ur observations..kids now-a-days are too smart!

അനൂപ് said...

My niece was so good at Windows Solitaire, her dad always used to say that her skills would be wasted at school :)
Was a good read... :)

Kally said...

Hmmmm..yea kids are really smart now-a-days !!! :)

I started using computers full fledged only in my 11th std with all those HTML/C etc...

before that I hardly know any ABC of it..in school they taught me something called word-star and LOGO..I hated the black screen..Grrr!! :(