Monday, March 29, 2010

Big Bazaar Bonanza

Guess what the talk of the town is– the new offer big bazaar (Trivandrum) has come up with.

I visited big bazaar yesterday and the offer goes like this. You can take any kind of junk there and get it exchanged for discount coupons!

I have seen a couple of stores do this before for promoting their sales but this one was particularly interesting. Generally the ‘conditions apply’ clause along with these kinds of promotions would be severe but in this case, it was very relaxed. They would take anything and when I say ‘anything’, I’m not joking. They take ANYthing!

I was pretty amazed by the number of people flocking the store with loads of junk from their homes – pretty much like a ‘spring cleaning’ season here in Trivandrum. By the time this offer gets over, Trivandrum is going to have some really clean homes!

But another interesting thing I noticed was that it’s probably not just the homes that might get cleaner, it’s the roads too. I saw a man picking up a scrappy piece of mudguard lying on the road and giving it to the store along with a sack full of other stuff (from his home I presume). This offer might just turn this place into the ‘green, clean’ city we’ve just talking about for years now.

A very intelligent guy even brought a broken toilet to get it exchanged for coupons. (No exaggeration here. I saw it with my own eyes!). People are bringing in heavy stuff like toilets and old computer monitors because they give coupons based on the weight of the stuff exchanged! Oh yes I couldn’t even think of lifting the first monitor we had bought. We should’ve kept it to get it exchanged for coupons!

But this offer has turned big bazaar into a big, noisy market place. There are huge queues in all counters and people are continuously shouting out offers over the PA system which kind of rings in your ears after a while and it made my shopping experience miserable. It was like they were desperate to sell their stuff! “I don’t want your buy 2 and get 2 free” offer, “I don’t want a split ac and get my second one discounted”.

I just wanted to finally get out and as I was waiting to pay the bill, I heard someone ringing a bell continuously and the orange-blue uniformed big bazaar employees shouting out loud “orange rupees twenty a kilo”. A maketing strategy straight from the ‘Palayam Market’ here in Trivandrum. It should work inside Big Bazaar too. In fact it did, as soon as the bell started ringing, a bunch of people rushed to the spot to get their oranges cheap.

But that was it! All that noise made me sick and it was like my turn to pay the bill would never come!

Finally, after paying the bill and getting out of that place, I heaved a sigh of relief, took in some fresh air and vowed to myself not to go back in there ever again!

Is se sasta or achha kahin nahi?? Makes me think. Does it really matter??

12 comments:

Laksh.. said...

:) the offer is there in Bombay too... but i now i am not sure i want to check it out!
anyway have fun n u too can do some spring cleaning!

Suni said...

nice blog Par. I enjoy shopping there though :)

JK said...

We are recreating the American experience here, Paru. Malls are a way of life! That's why I always tell you to shop only for those things that you really need and let that be from our neighbour grocer/stationaly store who would some times sells us second-rate stuff but always with a smile and talks to us without the aid of a microphone. Good luck next time.
Achan

Deepthy said...

For a girl who is supposed to take rest, i can see you are getting plenty of it!!! :)

K Muralidharan said...

I agree with Deepthi.Aren't you supposed to be in bed??
Well, we have this in Palakkad too. I was one of those standing in 'q' to get my things weighed in the counter. I pulled out four medium and large suitcases with zips gone from the attic and got two sturdy new ones and a travel bag instead. The coupons were worth Rs 2000/.One kilo of old newspapers is paid@Rs25 a kilo.We have no junk at home n ow(except me, of course-I may weigh only 55kgs which is peanuts compared to the merchandise exchanged in the counters!)Now listen to your sis-in-law and take rest.

Par said...

@laksh: ya ya dont make me take out my Kung Fu! you do know that cleaning and Par dont mix! ;)
@suni: i know u enjoy crowding in the crowd :) have fun!
@JK: Yep you are right! i take your advice.
@deepthi: deepthi i cant just lie there 24 hours a day. i'd go mad. need some kind of recreation :)
@Murali Val: very funny val. and yes im heading straight back to bed!

Mridul said...

so on a long leave eh ? :-D you dont seem to have any interest in coming back to blr !

Unknown said...

:-) (ofcourse they will wait for such an offer in 5 years to give away their current purchases)For me bigbazaar has always been a noisy place - took Nikki there once and totally regretted it (what was i thinking)
Spring cleaning - liked that. i feel most of us can do with a little bit of cleaning everydAY...

Unknown said...

Hi Dear you brought out a very important aspect of our own duty to nature,even if we are forced to do it on account of a discount.Way to appease people to do good?Why not contribute by clearing junks at home.I would love to do it.But I am scared.You said they would accept ANY thing.Dont junk oldies like us!
Love,Velliachan,velliamma of Mumbai

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Joel said...

My father was one of the people spoofed by this offer. Yes, they allowed exchange of a lot of stuff for coupons. But on taking the coupon for redemption, he found to his consternation that there was too few things to redeem! Most of the items were in the exemption list!

Anonymous said...

I give birth to infer from a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites web age file and last will and testament be checking back soon. Please contain into public notice my position as highly and leave to me know what you think. Thanks.